7.11.2011

book·ish : It All Ends 7.15.



As I write this, I realize I was kidding myself to think that what I feel for this beloved series would ever fit in a single blog post. But then, if you've been reading my blog and know me at all, you are likely a fan of the series, too. In which case, we both know that emotional connections to stories like Harry Potter cannot be explained in words.

Yes, I am tearing up even as I write this. Because the series that accompanied my adolescence, the characters that even now speak to me about bravery, friendship, and love that concurs death, are about to light the silver screen for the final time.

The books will always be here. The movies will be playing over and over for years to come. Still, there's something about seeing this series come to a close that puts things in perspective: I am a grown-up now. Life moves on. I am no longer that 13-year-old, frizzy-haired, introverted word-nerd reading
The Goblet of Fire under my covers at 3 a.m.

Source: eblekage.tumblr.com via Bethany on Pinterest

The small, shining faces of Harry [Daniel Radcliffe], Ron [Rupert Grint] and Hermione [Emma Watson] seem adorably dwarfed and baby-ish in retrospect. Next to their matured versions, we have proof that although it feels like just yesterday, 10 years worth of yesterdays have passed since they first appeared in The Sorcerer's Stone in 2001.

A lot has happened.



For them and for us.

We've grown, too, together and in our own ways. Just like these fictional characters that feel so deeply real, we have struggled to hold our world together, to step forward when no one else will, to accept those very different from ourselves, to understand our enemies, to cling to love and friendship in our darkest moments, to decide who we are and who we could be. And we've survived, too.

So Jo, thank you for giving my generation a renewed love for reading, a true understanding for the power of literature to influence lives.

Whitney, dear cousin, thank you for all the times you let me come over and read the newest installment within 24 hours, and for helping me sneak off to the theater to see the latest film.

Harry, it's been a pleasure. Expecto Patronum.

~


book·ish/ˈbo͝okiSH/Adjective


1. (of a person or way of life) Devoted to reading and studying rather than worldly interests.
2. (of language or writing) Literary in style or allusion.
3. (of art and all manner of lovely things) devoted to the written word as a form of art and as a way of seeing the world.
4. (of SheWritesandRights.blogspot.com) anything of the aforementioned characteristics as they are found on the interwebs and reposted by Bethany, because bookish and writerly things always give reason for amusement.

6 comments:

Whitney said...

ok so I cried... I cherish this bond we have over this beloved literature. and I am glad we get to experience it's end together. Love you!

Sarah said...

Ahh! So true and poignant Bethany! I am just as excited as I am sad to see the final film on Friday. I remember feeling the same apprehension going into reading the final novel as well, but being relieved when I remembered how far behind the movies were... Or so I thought.

Abigail Smith said...

I will admit, I never got into the Harry Potter series as an adolescent. In seventh grade the first book was assigned reading. I read it, but had no desire to move beyond that experience. I'm guessing it had more to do with my protest to par-taking in anything that was "popular" (like wearing Abercrombie and Fitch), than having a true disliking for the series.

As I've grown to adulthood, I've listened to many friends gush over the series. Despite their arguments for how great it is, I've never been inspired to place the books on my reading list. But reading the genuine affection and nostalgic memories you put together in this post has actually sparked my interest for the first time. So thanks for sharing!

Lastly, I'm a pretty new reader to your blog and really like many of your posts! Keep up the great work. =)

Bethany Suckrow said...

Oh, that's a huge compliment, Abigail! Seriously, underneath all the hype that the films and the action figures and the video games and the theme park have stirred up, the story itself is beautiful and gripping. And, J.K. Rowling is a wonderful writer - inspiration for the young writer in me.

Thanks for being a frequent visitor - stick around! I'd love to hear more of your thoughts! :)

irishyouwerehere said...

every time i even see the trailer my eyes well up with tears. i still remember waiting for my hogwarts letter when i was younger/i certainly feel for you in recognizing that my childhood is officially over : {
i am in agreeance with you though in the fact that it is such a gift to have an extension of your youth/the identifying with the characters in print and in film. <3

Rambling Tart said...

I love your words here. :-) I'm much older than you yet I treasure these books. They enabled me to revisit a very painful childhood and face it with courage so that now I am free, happy, and brave. Thank you for reminding me how much I love them. :-)

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: