12.19.2011

bookish : A Guide for the Dreaded Semicolon

The dreaded semicolon. Most avoid it using it, but it's really not that hard to understand. Should you need a re-education in appropriate semicolon use, here is your guide, courtesy of the Oatmeal :



book·ish/ˈbo͝okiSH/Adjective


1. (of a person or way of life) Devoted to reading and studying rather than worldly interests.
2. (of language or writing) Literary in style or allusion.
3. (of art and all manner of lovely things) devoted to the written word as a form of art and as a way of seeing the world.
4. (of SheWritesandRights.blogspot.com) anything of the aforementioned characteristics as they are found on the interwebs and reposted by Bethany, because bookish and writerly things always give reason for amusement.


P.S. Don't forget to enter Abby's giveaway for The Ripe Word! Enter by Friday, December 23. 

4 comments:

Jim Woods said...

Thanks for the reminder! Lately I've been using more semicolons in my writing; I'm not quite sure why. I just don't want go overboard with my use of them. Any advice there? Thanks! 

Bethany Suckrow said...

My advice: use correctly and use sparingly; you might seem pretentious to readers if you use them to often. ;) 

Jim Woods said...

Ok thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I would hate to sound pretentious! When I write, I'll treat the semicolon like it is a pepper shaker. 

Timothy Snyder said...

I remember in my college English classes, people always got props for working a semicolon into their writings.  I try to use it whenever I can.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: