5.10.2012

More than a Memory.




It's not always sad. There is a deep joy when I remember you, when I think about your arms around me, the words we shared, the things we loved together - coffee, dessert, hairspray, Gilmore Girls, The Sound of Music

I am not always afraid. When K told us she was pregnant last month and that this time the baby is healthy, my heart leapt with joy and I heard you say, This is possible; it will all be okay

It isn't always about loss. My heart is full with you - your affirmations, your laughter, your gentle words, even your tough love. You loved me for me, and maybe this is why I don't hate my body : you taught me that life was too short to starve myself of it. 

I am not always alone. When I talk with my hands or choose what to wear in the morning or glance at a passing reflection, it's that same conversation we always had, only quieter. 

It isn't always past tense. We are more than memories, more than dust and bones and the dirt we return to. You are faith and hope and love present tense, a glimmer of joy in every living moment. 

It’s true. I look at my life every day and think, I’m lucky. I am blessed. Our short lives - lived well - are better than the long lives we might have wasted in different circumstances. Fifty years of Grace is better than a hundred years of mere existence.

6 comments:

Cara said...

Seriously, you're unbelievable at this thing called writing. Maybe you'd be interested in writing on my blog sometime, just because I would love to have something so honest and beautiful on my site. Check it out, http://flightofcara.blogspot.com

Bethany Suckrow said...

Thanks for reading, Joe. :)

Taoajw said...

only love lasts, what a testament you are to her, what a mommy, what a daughter....

Ellen Martin said...

This is beautiful. And so true! I lost my Mom in December and this post feels like something I could have written. Though I hate to know that others can know my pain, it's oddly comforting to know that I am not alone. Your words are beautiful and your Mom is very much on the present, especially her love. I don't have to know you, or her, to know that. Wishing you all the best. (I found your blog through a lovely comment that you left on Cup of Jo today and I'm glad I did!)

TGL said...

Coffee, dessert, hairspray, Gilmore Girls and The Sound of Music are a few of the wonderful things in life.

A beautiful write :-)

Debbie said...

your words magically touch the deepest places of my broken, ever blessed heart.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: