3.20.2012

Pedaling the Bicycle.





Sometimes I cry for the clumsiness of it, the awkwardness of not understanding how to move forward. Like everything in life, grief is learning to pedal a bicycle without training wheels. A precarious exercise, a teetering balance that is sometimes exhilarating for a pace, but mostly dangerous and scarring. 

I am eight years old again, crying for my pain and pride, bleeding from different parts of me, angry that someone let go of my bike seat before I was ready.

[Photo.]

9 comments:

TGL said...

There are never any words appropriate, only hugs.

A. Smith said...

You're in my thoughts Bethany. 

Also- you're bike analogy is very powerful.

Annmcclintock said...

Bethany I swear I have seen your mom a couple times in the last couple of weeks.  Chad and I were into younkers and I  said to him, I have been seeing Tina.  He pointed to a woman in green and said that lady right there?  He knew exactly who I meant.  I am not sure why.  I do miss her and I know we will see her someday again but my eyes have been playing tricks on me....Love you deary.  I am enjoying reading what you write.  Keep it up.  Ann

Timothy Snyder said...

Beautifully simplistic. Painfully accurate.

Kim Bookless said...

Lovely, Bethany. Thinking of you.

Andrea Beltran said...

I agree with TGL. (BEAR HUG)

Christianne said...

This is super-powerful, and that last line just hit me straight in the heart. Love to you in this tender, confusing, clumsy, scary place. xo

Sarah said...

Crying is so powerful. Reminds me of this poem by Jeffrey McDaniel: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/air-empathy/

Bethany Suckrow said...

Wow, Sarah, I LOVE that poem. Thank you so much for sharing it!!!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: