3.20.2012

Poem : Prayer



I stumbled across this poem the other day, and it spoke to me about the frustration we find with ourselves when we try to grasp the abstract things that seem so important - spirituality, love, generosity. We want to commit our thoughts to these things, but our small human brains become distracted by the tangible and mundane, by the immediate gratification of doing. I try to sit still, eyes closed in prayer, and I begin to think about lunch. I am so annoyingly human sometimes.


Prayer

by Marie Howe

Every day I want to speak with you. And every day something more important
calls for my attention—the drugstore, the beauty products, the luggage


I need to buy for the trip.
Even now I can hardly sit here


among the falling piles of paper and clothing, the garbage trucks outside
already screeching and banging.


The mystics say you are as close as my own breath.
Why do I flee from you?


My days and nights pour through me like complaints
and become a story I forgot to tell.


Help me. Even as I write these words I am planning
to rise from the chair as soon as I finish this sentence.

3 comments:

A. Smith said...

Great poem Bethany. It is sooo human. I've been doing a lot of yoga and meditation lately to slow my mind down a bit, get grounded, and stay connected to what's important. It's interesting to me how much work it really takes in the world that we live in today (with a million and one distractions) to stay connected to what's important.

Anne B. said...

Oh wow.  That's me.  I seem to lack the discipline to think only of one thing, to focus on Him alone.  How does one gain such discipline? 

Thanks for sharing the poem!

faith said...

Thanks for this Bethany! I have been guilty of this. My prayer life (and quiet time with the Lord) is NOT where it ought to be. Great reminder!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: