2.18.2010

I need a biography...

I need a biography. We're not talking a whole book; just a three-paragraph summary of who I am and what I do. I wrote a short bio recently for my new job site, and I think it's good. However, the idea of writing a longer, more detailed bio somehow seems more intimidating. Maybe what's really bothering me is that nagging voice in my head, the one that says, "You don't just need a bio, you need a life..."

My intimidation doesn't change what is necessary to my success. The reality is that a good bio can do a lot for a professional profile on a social media site (such as LinkedIn), which can drive traffic to your blog, which can lead to a job or great professional connection, all of which I would love to have.

So, I've done a little research. What components make a good bio? 

The Urban Muse recently published a guest post from Kenji Crosland, who suggests including four key ideas:
1. What is your mission?
2. Where did you come from?
3. What have you done?
4. What are you doing now?

Those are all great questions... What is my mission as a writer? ("To write" seems like too short an answer, but that's my gut reaction.) Where did I come from (More specifically: where did my drive to write come from?) What have I done? (Why do I feel like "nothing" is the wrong answer?) What am I doing now? (Possibly the one question I feel I can answer without deprecation...)

So I will start with the one question I can answer and work backwards... I'll post it when I have a complete draft. Right now, I can hear another voice in my head. It's Mr. Zonyk, my high school Advanced Composition teacher. He always told me, "Don't think; just write." All of my writing endeavors, whether personal or professional, return to that principle eventually.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: