1.24.2012

Poem : The Movement





The Movement 

I’ve never been able to cartwheel.
Even as a kid.
But since everything in my life is changing,
Upside down and backwards to how
I thought I would feel,
I figure,
I should do things differently.
Make changes.
Try, for once, to feel triumphant,
exuberant,
because
YES!
I did it!
I’ll stretch my body out.
Reach my hands to the firm ground.
Let my feet feel the wind,
the free-flowing sky.
Let my stomach muscles loosen
and my belly-button see daylight.
Because I am capable of movement.
I am capable of being moved.



6 comments:

Melissa Tydell said...

Love this!

Teri Mahl said...

This is just great. I love the words and their meaning and the drawing that goes with it. I used to be able to do cartwheels but now, I just might hurt something if I tried. But the metaphor of a cartwheel in my life: I get that!! Thanks!!

Jim Woods said...

Bethany, I really like this. The picture is fantastic and the words express the feeling of doing a cartwheel..if you could do one. (I can't either!) 

Paris said...

i do the exact same thing, usually a little drawing with whatever i write :P really moved (hahaha) by this poem too.

Paris Kim said...

i do the exact same thing, usually a little drawing with whatever i write :P really moved (hahaha) by this poem too.

kati said...

hi Bethany, i suppose i'm in a poetry mood tonight...and here i stumble on such poignant word gifts!  

upside down and backwards, belly buttons seeing daylight.  thanks for taking our feet to the wind.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: