1.30.2012

book·ish : Favorite Film Adaptations of Literature.


Oscar season is upon us! Do you watch them every year? Last night the hubs and I watched the Ides of March, which is a nominee for Best Adapted Screenplay. I haven't read the book, but it got me thinking about best adapted films from literature. I find it interesting that The Help is not on the list; I felt that the film did great justice to this beloved novel! But that's not the first time I've disagreed with Oscar picks. [Here is the full list of Oscar nominees for 2012.]


My all time favorite adapted film is Atonement. It is also in my top favorites of books and films in general. It was nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay at the 80th Academy Awards in 2007, but fell to No Country for Old Men on both counts.

Tell me, what is your favorite film adaptation of a novel?

~


book·ish/ˈbo͝okiSH/Adjective


1. (of a person or way of life) Devoted to reading and studying rather than worldly interests.
2. (of language or writing) Literary in style or allusion.
3. (of art and all manner of lovely things) devoted to the written word as a form of art and as a way of seeing the world.
4. (of SheWritesandRights.blogspot.com) anything of the aforementioned characteristics as they are found on the interwebs and reposted by Bethany, because bookish and writerly things always give reason for amusement.

12 comments:

Kevin Sherman said...

I was pretty disappointed with The Ides of March. Did you like it?

Though technically from a Comic Book, I loved the adaptation of V for Vendetta. Hugo Weaving was amazing.

Bethany Suckrow said...

I was kind of disappointed in Ides of March, too. As far as political thrillers go it was very predictable. But I do think the dissatisfaction I found with it very much mirrors our dissatisfaction with the American political system in general. So I hated the ending because I wanted to see Gosling's character implode Morris' campaign with everything he knew, but let's face it - that's totally unrealistic. Anyone who gets drawn into the political sphere gets dirtied by it like the rest of them. 


Good picks, otherwise. I think film adaptations of comics could be its own sub-category, no? 

sam said...

The Devil Wears Prada - Meryl Streep just nails it! You know I'm such a book fan, but sometimes villians are just better in the movies. I think the movie version of professor Snape is even more multidimensional (and sinister!) than I imagined.

MoriahEsther said...

Not to get gushy but I actually really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley.  I think she is a great actress. I have seen almost every rendition of Pride and Pedjudice because it's my sister in laws all time favorite book.  It may not have held to the story perfectly, but movies will always fall short of a book for me, esp Jane Austen.

Bethany Suckrow said...

Oh, I think that's my second favorite, Moriah! And it is one of my favorite films of all time! Actually, I believe it was directed by the same guy that did Atonement, which explains a lot about why I love it. His cinematography is breathtaking. 

Bethany Suckrow said...

Ah, yes! I love that film, although I have yet to read the book. And I agree with you, Alan Rickman brought many more tears to my eyes than the Snape of the books. 

Kevin Sherman said...

Ah! Totally forgot about that one! I can watch that movie over and over again. Love Streep!

TGL said...

I would agree with that :)

Andrea Beltran said...

The Reader by Bernard Schlink has always been a favorite of mine...I almost didn't go see the movie, but I'm happy I did. Not usually a fan of adaptations, but I was pleased with that one.

WriteToBeYou said...

Have you ever seen "A Room with a View"? A beautifully written and filmed Merchant Ivory adaptation of the book by E.M. Forster.  The film is just a delight!

Bethany Suckrow said...

The Reader is another favorite of mine - both the book and the movie! I was pleased with how closely they followed the book and how emotional it was, because the book itself is so heart-wrenching. Bernard Schlink is one of my favorite authors, too. 

Bethany Suckrow said...

I've heard that it's good, but I've never read the book or seen the movie. Thanks for the recommendation!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: