3.24.2011

O'Hare, Earl Grey, Apologies and Poetry.

What a day I've had, friends. (And it's not even Monday.) First, I'll mention my utter frustration with myself. My severe penchant for untimely tardiness really distresses me. This statement seems ridiculous, but the reality is that while I am not a morning person, I really don't intend to oversleep by nearly 40 minutes on mornings when I need to get to work early. My alarm did not go off; God only knows why. I'll refrain from the hashing the details about the crazy dream I was having when, inexplicably, I woke with a start and realized I was late. Let's just say it wasn't as bad as the dinosaur dream from Tuesday night. Yes - dinosaurs.

Second, the five hours that I was actually in my office today can be described in a single cliche: time to put my foot in my mouth. This is no different than any other day when I readily express my opinions before I think about how to say them tactfully, but this morning was worse than usual. It was the kind that has left me wincing and cringing for the rest of the day. Did I really say that? 
I am trying to rectify this ever-present flaw in my personality. To those who received the brunt of my mouthiness today, take comfort in knowing that my feet taste disgusting and I am truly sorry.

Third, I love Chicago and nearly every thing about it. I also love doing whatever I can to help a friend, which is why I offered to drive my dear bff to O'Hare this afternoon so that she could hop a plane to Cali for vacation. I love her, which is why I'm not upset that she didn't take me along. My love for her is also the reason I'm simply grateful that I survived the whole experience because believe me, I almost died. Several times. Lots of wailing and pointing involved as I continued to miss exits and swerve away from other vehicles. Chicago rush hour traffic is the one thing I truly hate about living here.

Sigh. It is now 7 p.m. and I am safe and sound, sitting in Starbucks and enjoying an Earl Grey Latte while contemplating life. Our days are a series of decisions and distractions, and all we really want is to follow our calling, fulfill our purpose. It's so easy to let things stand in our way - other people, our selves, our bank statements, our schedules. It's easy to make excuses about why we're never the best version of ourselves or why we said one thing when we should have said it differently (or maybe avoided making the comment at all?)

It's also easy to be too hard on ourselves. We set the expectation that we are super-human, that because others depend on us we have to hold it together no matter what the circumstances are. We have to be on time, be prepared. We have to perfect our craft and our work before we share it with others. We have to have everything figured out.


Both ends of the spectrum keep us swinging back and forth, avoiding the middle of the road where our expectations can connect with our reality:

We are imperfect, yet we are capable. 

Tomorrow is another day to try again to be the better version of ourselves. If we mess it up or say the wrong thing or receive criticism on our work, then we can continue learning and growing from it.

And so, with that thought, I'm going to make a commitment. For the first time ever, I am going to submit my writing for a local poetry contest. (Yes, I write poetry.) It's a baby step, but a movement forward nevertheless. Enough with my expectations. Time to do.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: