3.07.2011

Better Mistakes Tomorrow.

This is my new philosophy:


I am not perfect. Far from it, in fact, and it's really been bothering me. I annoy myself, quite often.
It doesn't help that I have this theory that writers, more than most people (except for maybe designers and politicians) are thrown over the coals for mistakes we make. Why? Because our mistakes are out there in black and white.

It's rather crippling when you think about it. And I think about it a lot.

Like, for example, when I'm about to send a mass email to 2,000+ people, or share a Facebook status, or publish an article on a website, or post on my blog... the possibilities are frightening. I scan every word, phrase and punctuation mark to see if I've done it right.

... And then, let the palm-to-forehead moment commence!
Or not.
Either way, I'm terrified that I've screwed everything up.

This is my excuse for the notebooks full of ideas that have never been explored, the plethora of blog drafts that have never been published, the unwritten articles that float around in my head: It's scary.

Trust me. I'm notorious as the picky, stuck-up writer that's constantly correcting others' spelling, grammar, punctuation and pronunciation flubs.
The truth is, I spend a lot of time worrying that someone else is judging me just as harshly. It happens! And when it does it stings, like a band aid has been ripped off and all my insides are exposed. My flaws, raw and real for everyone to see. A classic case of the pot vs. the kettle.

Jon's first post on his new site reminded me today, though, that a plethora of unwritten articles, a notebook full of unexplored ideas and a blog full of unpublished drafts mean nothing. They don't help anyone, least of all myself. Of course, as a writer I believe in avoiding posting the first draft of anything. But the real problem comes when I never post anything.

My old philosophy: if you can't write it "right," then don't write it at all. But that's not what this blog is about, nor is it an effective philosophy for a writer.
The true process is always the same:

1. Write.
2. Then right.
3. Repeat until you come to the best combination of fresh words and edits.
4. Publish.
5. Give gratitude (or apologize) when appropriate.

So, my new philosophy is about accepting my mistakes, swallowing my pride, and doing my best. And if I fail, at least I have a lesson to learn from.
Strive for excellence, not perfection. Perfection doesn't exist. Perfection is that nasty, cynical voice in your head, criticizing everyone around you and at the same time, telling you:
"If you try it, you could fail and that's worse than if you never did it at all."
In truth, perfection is envious of the freedom and confidence that others exhibit when they accept themselves as they are.

Maybe that's why God made me a writer: it continues to teach me about grace. Our flaws are part of who we are, but they're not the only part. The flaws don't outweigh the gifts, and the passion that we possess to fulfill our purpose in life.

So here's to tomorrow, to better mistakes next time, and the grace to write about it anyway.

[Image.]

3 comments:

Adriana said...

I wanted to comment on your blog from quite awhile now(because I love it)but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Your post is so liberating.It sort of frees me, because I do the same with my work(I'm a designer though).I have the same attitude.It's insane.So,thank you.

Bethany said...

Thanks so much for your comment Adriana! I apologize if the blog format made it difficult for you to find. Thanks for reading - your comment made my day! :)

Adriana said...

You're welcome.But really, you don't have to thank me, because I mean it.
I also remembered about a fantastic blog that I read:http://sexualityinart.wordpress.com/
The content may not be always about things that interests you, but the clarity of thought and consistency of the guy behind the blog always fascinates me.I thought it might be helpful for your writing.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: