8.16.2009

Blackbirds and Blogs.

My husband is jamming with his acoustic on our bed, and I just read eight chapters of The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera. (To my shame, it's harder for me to read and grasp than it was when I read it in high school.)

Matt and I went to see the new flick Julie & Julia tonight. I'm glad I did. I'll let you see for yourself what I mean when I say that it inspires you to reevaluate your own potential. Driving home from the flick, Matt mused about how hard it is to choose a career and make a living, especially when you have more than one gift or talent.

"Sometimes I wish God have given me just one talent so that I wouldn't have to worry about whether I am choosing the right one."

I responded, "I wish that so many other people weren't so good at what I am gifted with, so that I don't have to feel so intimidated."

I have a feeling that God was not sympathetic to those statements. In fact, I'm sure that He was disappointed. I am too. I think, now that I'm sitting on my bed listening to my husband play "Blackbird" with perfect ease, and I sit here writing away, that it's not the people, the industry, the world we're afraid of. We're afraid of ourselves.

It's like Julie said, "I can write a blog. I have thoughts." Indeed.

1 comments:

alli/hooray said...

Your post is so true! I couldn't help commenting - I came across the link to your blog on facebook, and as a fellow blogger, I am always looking for new blogs to read. Keep it up!

Alli Greiner

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: